I wrote about TokenandPermUserStore issue a while back. I revisited the issue recently on 2 production servers to see if it was still an issue on a fairly recent SQL build.
The two servers in question run the same application, but with a vast difference in usage.
Server 1 – Itanium, 12 processors, 48 GB memory, build 3042 (SP2) running on Windows Server 2003 DataCenter SP1
Server 2 – x64, 16 processors, 64 GB memory, build 3215 (SP2 CU5) running on Windows Server 2003 DataCenter SP2
On both servers there’s a job that checks the size of the token cache and flushes it if it’s above 750 MB. The size was set because when I first set up the jobs, I noticed that the CMEMTHREAD waits were getting noticeable if the cache got above 1 GB.
On both servers, I set up a job that would log the size of the cache to a table. On server 1, that ran every 15 min. On server 2 it ran every 5 min. The results were a little frightening.